Friday, November 9, 2012

30 Thankful Days

Last November I kept a simple list of things I am thankful for each day. Ideally I would love to do this every day all year long, but clearly I'm not so great at it. However, for November I have committed to be thankful in all circumstances. At the end of each day I think back over the events of that day, and consider a small blessing that turned into a big blessing on that particular day. As my dad always says, we are truly blessed - blessed with good health and a great family. Blessed with a roof over our heads and plenty of food in the fridge. Blessed with employment and a comfortable life. My mom always uses the phrase "There but for the grace of God, go I" and I've always understood the idea behind that saying, but I looked up a better explanation of it and I think it fits perfectly. This historical phrase website (called the phrase finder) describes it by saying: I too, like someone seen to have suffered misfortune, might have suffered a similar fate, but for God's mercy. It is only by God's grace that we are blessed, and by responding in thankfulness we are all acknowledging these blessings in our lives.

November Blessings Part 1:
1. My brother, Bob, and getting to see him perform with his improv group at Seattle U.
2. The return of red Starbucks cups and gingerbread lattes :)
3. Laughter with friends.
4. The women on the Alumni Falconette Board.
5. A great day at work in my new classroom, Orange Giraffes.
6. A night at home with Luke - eating chili, watching tv, and simply enjoying each others company.
7. A surprise visit from Luke after a long day at work.
8. Hugs from 2 year olds who say "I got you!" as they squeeze their little arms around your neck.
9. Sunshine on a chilly fall day.

No comments:

Post a Comment