Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Best Sugar Cookies EVER


I love to bake and am constantly trying new recipes, but when it comes to making holiday cookies I always turn to my favorite sugar cookie recipe. I try others, but they are never as good as this one! This past week I made a huge batch of heart shaped cookies for Valentine's Day and I'm already thinking about the Easter cookies to come in a few weeks! Maybe I need to order some new cookie cutters.... :)


Sugar Cookies
1 lb. softened butter (no wonder they're so good, right?)
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 T. milk
2 T. almond extract (or vanilla, but the almond is what makes them special)
6 c. flour
1 T. baking powder

      Start by blending butter and sugar with a mixer (stand or hand will work just fine). Next add liquids- eggs, milk, and almond extract and blend until combined. Lastly blend in the flour and baking powder. It gets a little tough on a hand mixer when you get all 6 cups of flour in there, but you can always finish mixing with a spatula or even by using your hands.

      Once the dough is mixed (it will be a bit crumbly), flour your surface, drop a big scoop of dough down, and roll to desired thickness. I usually keep them on the thicker side so they will stay soft cookies as opposed to thin crunchy cookies. Cut out shapes and place them on a baking sheet (I use parchment so they don't stick or get as brown on the bottom). Bake at 350 for about 11 minutes or until they look set- one step before they turn brown! Take them out of the oven and let them sit for a minute before transferring to a cooling rack. They will stay good for about a week in a air tight container (although mine NEVER last that long) or you can store them in the freezer for eating at a later date (or eating frozen, yum!).



If I don't plan on frosting the cookies (or dipping them in chocolate- a real crowd pleaser, by  the way!) I will cover them with sprinkles before baking to make them a bit more festive. Because everything is always better with sprinkles right? I'm a three year old at heart :)

No comments:

Post a Comment