Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pinterest, Pinterest, Pinterest

Bored during a commercial break? Pinterest. Waiting for someone? Pinterest. Kiddos napping at work with nothing else to do? Pinterest. Long evenings home alone? Pinterest. Need a recipe? Pinterest. Nothing new on Facebook? Pinterest.

Whatever would I do without the Pinterest app on my phone?

Probably have a lot more time to do other things and feel a lot better about myself. ha!

I was reading an article recently about how so much social media stuff is making people depressed about their own lives. Which makes sense for anyone who has ever been on pinterest....the dream weddings, clothes, homes, craft projects, meals, and more that are all perfect. Or so it seems. They don't show the whole picture: the mess of the kitchen after making that meal, the money it took to create that wedding, the hours spent at thrift stores to find the perfect item to upcycle into something crafty, etc, etc.

I have to keep reminding myself of these things. NOTHING is perfect. Why am I comparing myself to people and things that are only portraying the good {perfect} parts of their life, job, family, etc.? Sometimes I have to intentionally not be around any source of internet access and, ya know, actually read a book or talk to someone face to face without technology distracting us to remind myself that my life is full of blessings.

All that to say, it's fun to go on Pinterest and get new ideas for things, but I try to remember not to take it too seriously....otherwise I'll just get jealous and sad and lonely. And that's no good! SO tonight's pinterest trials are as follows:

#1 Vinegar/Orange cleaning spray.
You can find this on a million different websites and pinned all over the place, and I finally decided to try it since the kiddos ate oranges at work today. I had a whole bunch of orange peels and didn't have to eat tons of oranges to get them. Score! You're supposed to let this sit for two weeks (say a prayer I remember to get this out of the closet then...) and then pour in a spray bottle and clean away. Some websites advised mixing water in with this mixture, so we'll have to see how potent it ends up.

#2 Coconut Peanut Butter Magic Cake Bars
So many good things in one small bite! After work I whipped these up to take to an Alumnae Falconette Board meeting tonight and they were a big hit. SO easy to make, the recipe can be found at averie cooks. I used white chocolate chips instead of the butterscotch chips and I think they were just as yummy. 




All in all, I don't think Pinterest or social media of any kind is bad, as long as I can remember to keep everything in the proper perspective. Should I spend all my time browsing things that I wish my life was like? No, because that's not healthy. Is it okay to browse every once in a while and try new things? Yes, absolutely. 

Thanks, Pinterest, for inspiring me and helping me out when I'm stumped about a food/craft/decorating idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment