Friday, March 11, 2011

Power of Metaphor

In my Human Development and Christian Faith class we have been reading excerpts from a book by Donald Miller called Blue Like Jazz. The assignment for today was on the chapters regarding love and friendship and there has been one part stuck in my head all day. I know it's a little long, but it's worth reading.

          "It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things.
          My realization came while attending an alumni social for Westmont College. I had never attended Westmont, but my friend Michelle did, and she invited me. Greg Spencer, a communications professor, was to speak, and Michelle thought I might enjoy the lecture. I did. More than I can say. The lecture was about the power of metaphor. Spencer opened by asking us what metaphors we think of when we consider the topic of cancer. We gave him our answers, all pretty much the same, we battle cancer, we fight cancer, we are rebuilding our white blood cells, things like that. Spencer pointed out that the overwhelming majority of metaphors we listed were war metaphors. They dealt with battle. He then proceeded to talk about cancer patients and how, because of war metaphor, many people who suffer with cancer feel more burdened than, in fact, they should. Most of them are frightened beyond their need to be frightened, and this affects their health. Some, feeling that they have been thrust into a deadly war, simply give up. If there were another metaphor, a metaphor more accurate, perhaps cancer would not prove so deadly.
          Science has shown that the way people think about cancer affects their ability to deal with the disease, thus affecting their overall health. Professor Spencer said that if he were to sit down with his family and tell them he had cancer they would be shocked, concerned, perhaps even in tears, and yet cancer is nothing near the most deadly of diseases. Because of war metaphor, the professor said, we are more likely to fear cancer when, actually, most people survive the disease. [side note: I'm not so sure where he got his data on this one, but that's beside the point]
          Mr. Spencer then asked us about another area in which he felt metaphors cause trouble. He asked us to consider relationships. What metaphors do we use when we think of relationships? We value people, I shouted out. Yes, he said, and wrote it on his little white board. We invest in people, another person added. And soon enough we had listed an entire white board of economic metaphor. Relationships could be bankrupt, we said. People are priceless, we said. All economic metaphor. I was taken aback.
          And that's when it hit me like so much epiphany getting dislodged from my arteries. The problem with Christian culture is we think of love as a commodity. We use it like money. Professor Spencer was right, and not only was he right, I felt as though he had cured me, as though he had let me out of my cage. I could see it very clearly. If somebody is doing something for us, offering us something, be it gifts, time, popularity, or what have you, we feel they have value, we feel they are worth something to us, and perhaps, we feel they are priceless. I could see it so clearly, and I could feel it in the pages of my life. This was the thing that had smelled so rotten all these years. I used love like money. The church used love like money. With love, we withheld affirmation from the people who did not agree with us, but we lavishly financed the ones who did."

I have never thought about love in this way, but we use money terms all the time! We spend time with people. Friendships are priceless. We value time with people. We are using terms of commodity to explain something that can't be measured. I know I am supposed to love unconditionally, but how many people out there bug or irritate me? Do I love them even when it is difficult to like them? We cannot love someone unless we first like them. The whole, "I love you, but I don't have to like you" thing doesn't really work for me. How do you love someone the way God wants you to love them without liking them too? I may be wrong in this thinking, but I feel that it's important to at least consider what these terms look like. What does love look like? What does God say about love?

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
1 John 4:7-11

2 comments:

  1. wow, very interesting. but, what words SHOULD we use to talk about love and cancer and other things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's the question that can't be answered. I don't know that we can change an entire culture's way of phrasing things, which is what I think that Spencer was getting at. That if there was another way to phrase "battling" cancer, we would have probably come up with it by now. It's an interesting thing to think about tho!

    ReplyDelete