Monday, August 22, 2011

Summer of Movies


It seems like all I have done this summer is watch movies movies movies. But isn't that what summer is all about? Watching new movies and catching up on old ones you missed during the school year? I have seen: Pirates 4, Transformers 3, Green Lantern, Cars 2, Larry Crowne, Winnie the Pooh, Captain America, Crazy Stupid Love, The Change-Up, and The Help. And that's just in theatres. Thanks to RedBox I have watched dozens more including Gnomeo & Juliet and Soul Surfer just this afternoon. Other RedBox movies have included Morning Glory, Unknown, Adjustment Bureau, Just Go With It, The Eagle, The Switch, Country Strong, and Life As We Know It. (Geez, what else have I been doing?!) My favorite movie by far has been The Help. I saw it with my mom and we cried, laughed, cried some more, and left agreeing that it was the best movie we have ever seen. Okay, so there were no superheroes, aliens, cars that become giant monsters, or any crazy special affects, but those are not the things I find important in a movie. I had just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett and think that everyone I know needs to pick it up (it's on sale at Target right now!). The message behind the book/movie is incredible and really makes you think. How would we have acted in the same situation? Would we have been like Miss Skeeter and stood up for the maids and those who were treated poorly? Would we have been like Miss Hilly who was just doing what she thought was "right" and following the social pressures?

I would hope that by knowing and following the teachings of Jesus I would have realized that things were not right and had the courage to do something about it. But then again, there were plenty of Christians living in the South when all this persecution was taking place. Who knows what would have happened if I was there 50 years ago when these things were happening in Jackson, Mississippi. Persecution and segregation are still happening around the world, even in our own country. I haven't really come across much in my life in my little bubble of an existence, but I know that I will. How will I handle it? Will I stand up for what I know is right? Will I hide in the crowd and hope someone else says something? I pray that I will always do the right thing, no matter what that means. In the mean time, I will keep encouraging people to read and watch The Help.

No comments:

Post a Comment